Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Art for a Stoic




I had oysters for lunch with a friend.  “This has been a good season for these bivalve mollusks” he said. “With all the dangers we know about eating raw seafood, why do we do it?”

“Sensual pleasure,” I said, “no other reason.”

And then we talked about pleasure as a guiding principle. Not of the temporary types, but the pleasure as an art of celebrating life.

“We artists use canvas, photographic paper, computers, sound, scream, words and silence to feed our art,” he thoughtfully stated, “yet we die of tuberculosis, cirrhosis, depression, loneliness and forgotten. We age if we are lucky, yet do we age with artfulness?”

Then we talked about the art of living, the art of aging, and the art of dying.

… When I returned home, I parked my bicycle in its usual place, scratched my dog behind the ears, and recalled a few ideas from Simone de Beauvoir’s book La Vieillesse. I do not have a copy anymore, so went to the Web and found an English translation as “The Coming of Age”.  So I read the first chapter, this time in English.

A few passages reminded me of my original reading, while others were a new discovery. I reread these few lines:

“Great numbers of people, particularly old people, told me, kindly or angrily, but always at great length and again and again, that old age simply did not exist! There were some who were less young than others, and that was all it amounted to.”

My dog was sleeping under my desk and snoring. I reached for his head and touched his face. He opened one eye but did not raise his head. He knew it was me. That I was touching him to stop his snoring. Just like old couples do. We have been together now for ten years.

I looked at him and saw an old dog. Yet, every morning, the moment I put his leash on and open the front door, he jumps out looking for squirrels. For an hour or so he is like a young puppy running after every squirrel even if he had never caught one. It does not matter; it is the pleasure of chasing. When we come back home, he drinks water from his bowl, eats breakfast, goes to his favorite corner and sleeps for hours. And if I am around and writing, he comes to sleep under my desk, put his head on my foot and snore while seemingly dreaming of squirrels.

Is he, at some hours of the day, less old than other dogs? Or at other times less young than he used to be?

I wanted to read more. So I checked a reference to Seneca’s work. This passage, from his Letters from a Stoic written two thousand years ago made me smile:

“We should cherish old age and enjoy it. It is full of pleasure if you know how to use it. Fruit tastes most delicious just when its season is ending. The charms of youth are at their greatest at the time of its passing.”



What was my canvas? My dance, my photographic paper, my silence?

After a few minutes I realized that the answer was very apparent and simple: I was my own canvas, my secret dance, my own photographic paper in a darkroom full of unprinted pictures, and that it was my own silence that I share in my writings, my photos, and the whispers during walks on promenades at the edge of the Mediterranean, the North Sea, the Atlantic, the Irish Sea, the Pacific, Adriatic or China Sea.

… Do we age with artfulness? I do not know, but after having oysters for lunch, I felt like reading Simone de Beauvoir and taking my dog for a long walk on the promenade around the port of Baltimore.

September 17, 2014

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2104


PS/ The first picture was taken near a port celebrating the Atlantic Ocean. The second is from Prague on a rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment