Friday, November 6, 2015

“Doubt Thou the Stars Are Fire” (Hamlet)




Mars, Jupiter and Venus
In a silent line were last night
As I sat under the firmament
My dog by my side

Coyotes howled on the hill nearby
And the desert gave out its exhale of lavender and sage
Bringing in me a cloud of memories
To cover, uncover, shade and let shine
Names without faces, moments once abundant and shy

Where did they go
The years of folly, the years full of time?
At times
I left them on a beach near an angry sea
Or next to the rails, at midnight
Listening to the last train depart

… My dog is now blind
And my glass was half full
While Venus, Mars and Jupiter
Were in silence last night

Across seas, in cities of stone, under walls of concrete
I sat at tables round, square, alone or with happy people
These tables of plenty were never really full
Yet hungry to bed I never went

I cried at rhapsodies, sonatas, Russian and Balkan
Gypsy torment and Romani guitars
Yet every violin always played its favorite songs
No matter who caressed its cords

Where did they go
The years of promises and the times of wonder?
Perhaps I held them against their own race
On a page, a face, a name or an old promise

And
Once I thought to have lost them, as if tempting Venus
Under dark clouds’ veil
But when Mars became of war red and Jupiter healed no pain
I found them again, for they were just forgotten
Not gone, those years, faces and promises made

… But, my dog is blind
And my cup nearly empty
Now

So, why in me did they linger
The quiet whispers
Of simple times?

October 28, 2015

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2015

1 comment: