Saturday, December 12, 2015

Actus et Potentia


I woke up to a desert wrapped in white. It had snowed all night and my environment had changed its character. After a long walk with my dog, I decided to pick up an old book, sit by the fireplace and watch the snow from the comfort of my chair. My dog immediately found his place next to my feet and started snoring gently.

The book I picked up is one I have often read. It is Heisenberg’s Physics and Philosophy, published in London in 1958. I often gravitate towards physics when order and harmony are on my mind. And watching the snow cover the brown of the desert seemed a perfect moment for re-reading this book. Physics and Quantum Mechanics have been of scientific attraction to me even if I often find myself wondering how the footprints of science and philosophy intersect.



Every reading is a new discovery. This time a sentence on page 160 caught my attention. It proposes:

“… But atoms and the elementary particles themselves are not as real; they form a world of potentialities or possibilities rather than one of things or facts ... It's a quantitative version of the old concept of potentia from Aristotle's philosophy.”

Probability, potentiality and Aristotle. I realized that I did not know enough of the Greek philosopher’s work in this area and wanted to learn more. The order physics seeks and the harmony philosophy pursues have often shaped my outlook for the ordinary.



… Well, it seems that Aristotle never used the term potential, but scholars translated his work by replacing the original terms of energeia (or entelecheia) and dynamis as actus and potentia. The rationale is that energia may mean action or determination and not strictly energy. The same with dynamis which best translates as aptitude to change, hence potentia, which is the potential for future change or transformation. In contrast actus, in my understanding, is the actualization process which is all in the moment, in the present.

Hence the duality of the Aristotle’s philosophy.




In fact dualism is a central philosophical theme from Plato to Aristotle to Descartes. Good or evil, matter or substance, belief or not. It is the 0 and 1 in the digital world, and the B&W in photography. Dualism is relatively easy to understand – I find the challenge in grasping the power of the transitional phases. Like the tonal range in B&W photography or the actualization of potential.

But for today, I plan to just think about energia and dynamis.



December 12, 2015

©Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment