Sunday, May 5, 2019

Fear Is The Cheapest Room In The House. I Would Like to See You Living in Better Conditions. (Hafiz e- Shirazi)



Dogs bark in the night
It is windy and warm
Wounds breathe as the moon
Hides in its own
Whisper

It is safe to be lonely
When company calls you dear
As dogs bark in the night
And fill your silent space
With primordial
Fear

I have known that look
Lonely eyes want to hide
As their chill fills the space
With a smell I still recall
Decades later
And moons away

Tomorrow desert lizards
Will run up your walls
And shiny raven will gurgling croak
For a new start without leaving
The past whither in the desert sun
As you wash your face

And say
That you
Can

May 5, 2019
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2019


I wrote this poem as I learned about a story of domestic violence from a friend.
In my previous life as a healthcare professional, I often wrote about health and epidemics using poetry as my medium. In the late 1990s I was the “violence poet” in The Lancet, one of the most prestigious medical journals. Here are the links I found to a couple of them but unfortunately they are not available for free.


https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(05)75356-3/fulltext

No comments:

Post a Comment