Saturday, February 22, 2020

Pattern and Repetition





Ancient footsteps
Take me to a time
When leaving was discovery
And Mariana was just a poem

Cities were of concrete
Of steal and unshaven men
I still hear the footsteps
Lovingly in these streets I left
Dark, with the sound of every
Setting name

It was a time
To which we belonged
When self pity was a short poem
Marianas recited gently
In distant granges

... Time has since forgotten
(It has it hushed, yet has it delivered)
The call we often surrendered
To gentle evening memories
Of Mariana waiting 

But he never cometh
For leaving was discovery
Of what we already
Knew

January 22, 2020
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2020




Background: I re-read Tennyson’s “Mariana” published in 1830. I have read it, as I do with most poetry, at various stages of my life to see if it has acquired a new meaning, or if it has a new message since my last reading. Tennyson’s poem is based on Shakespeare’s “Mariana” in Measure for Measure where she hopelessly waits  for Angelo, her lover.

As for the reference for self-pity, it is from a poem by D.H. Lawrence, by the same name. It is a short poem (only four lines) but it has often returned to my recall as a thought when I read poetry. It is perhaps its short for line breath that breezes through lines by other poets.

Finally, the photo is of a sunset I watched a couple days ago from my window. I thought it fit well with the mood of the poems I was reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment