Sunday, February 4, 2024

Siamo Tutti Semi in Attesa della Pioggia

 


 

It was mid-1970s, in Bari, Italy. A port in South Italy with a rich history of Greek and Roman influence. Piazza del Ferrarese was where I walked every day admiring the medieval habitational structures mix with modern ones. In early morning, it was my favorite environment for B&W photography.

In my travels, Bari remains one of the three places I have discovered historic Armenian churches where there were no or only a handful Armenians still living. The other ones were The Armenian churches in Armenopolis(1) (Gherla) in Romania, and in Singapore(2,3).

As I came out of The Church of San Gregorio, I took my 1954 Kiev camera out of my bag, which got the attention of a young artist who was sketching the church.

Un purista! he exclaimed.

He wanted to see my camera, so I sat by him.

I like old cameras I said and I like your work with charcoal.

He rolled a cigarette and asked why I was visiting the church.

I am Armenian, and Saint Gregory the Illuminator is the patron saint of Armenia I replied.

While still playing with my camera, he introduced himself:

I am a student at the Bari Academy of the Fine Arts, and the Church of San Gregorio is my project for this week. Before painting, we have to learn the history of the monuments, so yes, I know about this Armenian Church. Did you know it dates from the 10th century?

So, for a short while we talked about ourselves.

You are the first Armenian I have ever known he said. Keep talking, but do permit me to keep sketching as the shades change quickly with the light.

At some point he said:

You have been inside the church, did you see the three navate della chiesa?

I did not know what navate meant.

Each church corridor is called navata, amico. There are three navate in this church, and the façade we are now looking at is tripartite matching the internal architectural theme. My goal is to capture this façade in a way that my painting tells the story of the three navate.

We were quiet for a while, so he rolled another cigarette.

The shades are gone, I have to come back tomorrow he said. I hope you come back again to take photos with your camera antica. This church has the most Romanesque façade in Bari. Maybe I will see you again?

I smiled:

You called me a purist when you saw my camera – I think I will be back. You and I wait for that moment to capture, that moment that fleets, that moment that makes our experience uniquely shared with others.

As he was packing his drawing pad and pencils, he became philosophical:

My teacher says Siamo Tutti Semi in Attesa Della pioggia (we all are seeds waiting for rain) – maybe you were my rain today. Maybe my painting will incorporate more than what my eyes have seen. Gracie!

 

February 4, 2024

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2024


 About the photo: I took it inside a historic Italian church near Bologna, years after my trip to Bari.

References

1.      https://vahezen.blogspot.com/2016/03/armenopolis-romania.html

2.      https://vahezen.blogspot.com/2015/03/a-stone-to-turn-page.html

3.      https://liveingray.blogspot.com/2017/11/armenian-diaspora-salmon-syndrome.html

No comments:

Post a Comment