Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Gravel Road




I would give little
To be young again
The large chair holds me tight
My beret makes me smart
And my dog sleeps
His head upon my slippers

I have seen sunsets
Upon fields of hay
And I have walked in the gentle rain
Among cities with simple names
Often alone, sometimes arm in arm
With the passing, unforgiving time

I will give nothing
To gather, piece by piece
My heart after brown eyes
Have looked for somebody new
I will give nothing
For what I got was a summer storm
But not hurricanes I had hoped for and asked

Moonshine or warm beer
I gladly still keep by near
When turning pages
Of a silly book late at night
As my slippers feel  warm
And my dog, a cataract in left eye
Dreams, sighs, and chases chipmunks
Trembling, like I once did
When chased by those brown eyes

I will give little
For perhaps
I have given it all


August 20, 2010

©Vahé Kazandjian, 2013









1 comment:

  1. Like Piaf's Je ne regrette rien"? Or does the final verse defy the assumption.

    ReplyDelete