Thursday, November 7, 2013

Table for One



The wait.
It is an art that we learn to first reject, and then cherish. For someone, an idea, or the sharing of a thought. There has to be a reward in waiting, but maybe not for waiting.

As a writer, the empty page or a blank electronic screen have promised me the visit of my muse. And I have waited.  I have looked at empty pages on long plane flights, in lonesome hotel rooms, on crowded trains, or in shelters during war times. These pages are all the same – empty spaces full of promises. What will it be this time? A poem about brown eyes? A Scandinavian city full of sun at midnight? The story of a genocide I was told as a kid? The page remains empty, flat, and I wait.

Amazingly, as I have looked at empty pages in every corner of the world, somehow my muse has found my hiding place. A space where I did cache myself from the moment I had promised to others. Sometimes students, sometimes government representatives. I was there to be a healthcare professional, and yet, always found the space to be just myself. Facing a blank page.

And when my muse arrived, wearing dream and shiny tear drops, I saw the page eager to surrender. My words would now break the silence of the emptiness; my fears would make the page tremble. My muse, wearing shadow and without make up, was near me now to give permission. Not a story, not hope. Just the permission to write. What I wrote was always my choice.

… Waiting is an art, which becomes a craft in daily life. This time, we wait for cycles to complete themselves. It is not about writing anymore but the readiness for what is to happen. One cannot be impatient or forceful, time is an unforgiving lover.

Like empty pages, the wait is faced with empty moments when we hear the seconds tick at the pace of our inner resonance. The artfulness of being patient becomes the resilience of surviving these empty moments. Because their bare timescape is also filled with promises. Because we believe it is.

An artist becomes a craftsman by sharing his art. A writer becomes at peace by waiting for his muse. And an empty page just learns to wait.

November 7, 2013
© Vahé Kazandjian, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment