Saturday, December 13, 2014

Love-Time Quantum Mechanics





Perhaps reflections about the passing of time have preoccupied the human mind second only to our desire to understanding love. 

… This morning the sky is dark, it is a cold December day. My mind wonders about things I have wondered about in the past. Time has passed since and I have let it pass in peace.
But not peacefully. I have listened to its passage, I have challenged its pace, and I have shared it with love. This December cold morning reminds me of a line from Shakespeare:

                                       “The inaudible and noiseless foot of Time

I must have had a different encounter with time than he did. My time has never been inaudible, or noiseless. It has been stream and river, volcano and silent valley. My time has been noisy, crowded and lonely; it has been gut tearing and sweet amber. It has been an open wound and charming ambrosia. My time has reminded me that it was passing and that there was nothing I could do about it.

… Time and love are like games we play, but games with no rules. There has to be a winner in every game, and time wins no matter the opponent. Love makes losing sweet, acceptable, and often desirable.  And we play these games differently during our own travel between the past and present: we do not get better at these games, just that we realize that love stops making the losing acceptable.

It is attributed to Heraclitus the saying that:

                                      “Time is a game played beautifully by children

I am not a child, nor that once young man who shared his time with love. And with people. So is my game weaker? Less beautiful now?

Or perhaps there is nothing relative about time and love. That we are unnecessary by-standers in the game where time plays against itself and love watches the game with little interest. Perhaps we have tried, since the beginning of time, to insert ourselves into that game.

I think that we were never invited.

If therefore time and love are not relative, then they should be absolute. I do not know of a more beautiful line that the one by Khalil Gibran when he wrote:

                                          “Love has no desire than to fulfill itself

Do we have a role in that process? Or like hungry birds we descend upon the fields where the harvest of love was done and we glean what was left behind?

… It is darker now outside and it is that sudden calm before snow starts falling. All will be calm, clean and covered soon. But my mind refuses to separate love from time. Perhaps because I still remember how to play that game beautifully, like children who do not understand time. Or like old men who have played that game and are better losers now.

And, as a temporary victory for my belief, I recite a line from Jorge Luis Borges that makes me as peaceful as the mountain I see from my window getting ready for snow:

     “Being with you and not being with you is the only way I have to measure time”

Let it snow now.

December 13, 2014
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment