Sunday, November 30, 2014

Muddy Tea




How do sad eyes know
When to look away?

I have marched alone
When cities reached their bound
And people with large hands
Held their faces tight

It was not fear I found
Nor joy, nor regret
A sailor lights his pipe alone
And bites the wooden stem

How do brown eyes know
When you look away?

I did not have a journey
Just a passing through
And along the short way
Touched a stone, a rainbow, perhaps a few

It was not fear I found
Nor a promise, not even a sigh
Men in their large hands
Held their hopes and cried

How do hazel eyes know
When to say goodbye?

I have slept under roofs
That filtered stars and half moons
I have locked wooden doors
That opened upon no place

And yet, a sailor lights his pipe
In the hope of passed blue smokes
And the taste of new mornings
Promising angry seas, mossy rocks and cotton clouds

With all the pain
Awaiting them
How do children’s eyes
Shut so gently at night?


November 30, 2014
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment