Sunday, April 24, 2016

When Sandburg, Longfellow and Rumi Look Through a Window




We all are inquisitive about discovering the yet undiscovered. Some of us do so as scientists, musicians, painters, photographers, philosophers or poets. The path to discovery is the purposeful peeping into what is partly covered by knowledge, dogma or experience. Thus the first step is to find an opening, or in some instances pierce one through our curiosity and eagerness to know more.

The symbolism of an opening can be materialized through an actual structure and transformed into metaphors. In poetry, most commonly an actual window or a door are used to uncover what is or was behind them. In every language I know there are poems about windows and doors, and perhaps by projection about balconies. I belong to the latter group of curious people who have written about balconies and what they may represent (1). In short, a balcony is an escape from the main building. A place of evasion from where one can watch the street and people below, a sunrise, a sunset, and keep memories of a kiss stolen at high noon or at dawn. If not stolen, borrowed for sure.

… I was reading poems by Carl Sandburg, an American poet I like, perhaps because of some European influence his life attitude adopted given the Swedish descent of his parents. I stopped on the page entitled “At a Window”. I have read it many times before but my eyes lingered on that page again. It starts by the poet asking God to give him hunger and other difficulties, perhaps to test him. But the request Sandburg has is to also give him the chance to be loved and experiencing love. The powerful ending lines are:

But leave me a little love, 
A voice to speak to me in the day end, 
A hand to touch me in the dark room
Breaking the long loneliness. 
In the dusk of day-shapes 
Blurring the sunset, 
One little wandering, western star 
Thrust out from the changing shores of shadow.
Let me go to the window, 
Watch there the day-shapes of dusk 
And wait and know the coming 
Of a little love.”

The window is an actual one, but the await for love is a symbolic gesture based on the experience of the poet. Suddenly, the banal window becomes that opening to a hope and demand for the most fundamental of our wants.

So, I searched for another poem I like, this time by H.W Longfellow. This one is about lost love, lost happiness, and uses a visit to his old house to remember the good moments and what is now lost.  It is entitled “The Open Window” and we see the poet visiting the home where he was a child once. Now he is there with his own child, and he remembers the sounds and liveliness in that house he knew. And looking to a window that hides no laughter or joy now, he writes:

“And the boy that walked beside me,
  He could not understand
Why closer in mine, ah! closer,
  I pressed his warm, soft hand!”

In this case the window is an opening for introspection and remembrance. The quiet building is like a lifeless body and the open window akin to a gaping wound.

… The symbolism of a window is different from that of a door in poetry. A door has active expectation – to walk through it, to have someone else walk back to you. A window in contrast, is a true opening from which in most instances we expect feelings, actual light or memories to come through. I say “most instances” because, as a health professional, I have encountered many occasions in Asia and Northern Europe where a window is left open for the room where a patient is taking his/her last breath. An open window is needed for the soul to leave the room.

I have a tendency to end my literary reading by going back to Rumi. His short statements seem most conducive for departing thoughts that stay with me long after I close the book.
A few lines of Rumi do bring the concepts of a window to love as follows:

“Moonlight floods the whole sky
From horizon to horizon
How much it can fill your room
Depends on your window.”

And:

“Love said to me:
There is nothing that is not me.
Be silent.”

… So I closed the book.

April 24, 2016
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2016

 I took this photo in a church in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

No comments:

Post a Comment