Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Identity Has an Unknown Face

I was researching articles about facial reconstructive surgery. I came across a recent report about the work of Doctors Without Borders, or Médecins Sans Frontiers (MSF), in a hospital in Amman, Jordan (1). 

It is not a new topic for any war zone yet I was compelled to read because of one paragraph:

“The mission of this one-of-a-kind hospital, funded and run by MSF, is to rebuild the identities of patients, most of whom are forced to confront their trauma every time they see their reflection.”

Rebuilding identity. Most of us search for our identity not because we lost it but because we never found it.  We go back to identify ancestry, history and life experiences. If lucky, we just build our identity based on the inherited.

Rebuilding is totally different. It has nothing to do with the past, but all about the type of future one can now construct.  And this time it is an identity that we let others, like surgeons, decide what it will be.

I remember a saying about mirrors:

                   “Mirrors should reflect twice before sending our image back to us.”

…. For some reason I then looked for a picture I took last year but left it in the drawer. I was looking at the bronze sculpture of an unknown woman in a corner of a museum yard. It was perhaps a famous woman once, but now frozen in bronze and left in that corner. Even with a small plate about the artist, she had no identity.




Then, as I like for most of my street photography moments, a woman peeped into the yard from behind the iron fence. Her hair was very similar to that of the unknown, bronze face that was facing me. 

For a split second I thought about identity and being “imprisoned” behind the bars of ancestry, history or life experiences.

So I clicked because that is what I do when I have my camera hanging from my neck.

May 4, 2016
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2016

(1)   “Plastic Surgeons Treat Physical And Psychological Wounds In The Middle East” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/plastic-surgery-jordan-hospital_us_56e9ab9fe4b0b25c91843d60


No comments:

Post a Comment