Saturday, July 13, 2019

Quantum Behavior -- Sufism, Hinduism and the Rejection of Our Binary Existence




Weekends are for introspection for me – I paint, I do sculpture and I read poetry. Sometimes I read about philosophies that have shaped the human race, and inevitably spirituality takes a central stance at the end of my séances.

Interestingly, I also end up recalling my amateur knowledge of physics, especially quantum physics. Somehow since the first course of physics I took in college I found so many intersections between the world of pure science and the worlds of philosophical flexibilities.

So, I read a book about Sufism where the philosophy found in the oldest preserved classical manual on Sufism written by Abū Naṣr as-Sarrāj is discussed. I wanted a “how to” manual where abstract philosophy is translated into steps, and a certain rationale is provided for these steps.

And I learned about States and Stations which are the required contextual building stones to reaching the consciousness through self-discipline. Ok, that suddenly got too abstract. But a bit of re-reading made me realize that these states are a compendium of self-achievements during the vagabonding upon the spiritual path in search of consciousness.  And, that with each station that is achieved, a new state form inside the person as a consequence.

Of course the Hindu Philosophy of Consciousness has a similar blueprint. There are four states in our search for consciousness. Jagrit, or the walking state, is the first one. In this state we find our identity, our creative skills, and pursue to contribute to humanity. Yet, Jagrit is often thought as an illusion, the veil of Maya that provides dreams rather than anchor us in reality.

And this achievement of this state, the Jagrit, takes us to the second state which is Sapna or the dream state. I have to admit that this is my favorite state, and I am happy to go from Jagrit to Sapna and not pursue the next two steps!

Ok, in Sapna, we lose our identity, we listen only to abstracted memories, and we lose the constructs of time and space. It is an introspective state of chaos that we try to organize and give the semblance of order.
I have always thought that scientists find their consciousness in the Jagrit state, while artists somehow reach Sapna and stay there! But over time I learned that there are many who excel in the back and forth between Jagrit and Sapna. That these states are not like turning a page, but a co-existing continuum where we go back from Sapna to Jagrit to re-energize our creativity, to recall our identity.

And this is when I fall into the loving tentacles of Quantum Physics!

The historic proposal of Niels Bohr in 1913 is most à propos to the discussion of states and stations in Sufism and Hindu Philosophy. During the gestational years of Quantum Mechanics, Bohr proposed that electrons in an atom exist only in certain stationary states, including a ground state. Most remarkably, his theory was that electrons change their energy by "jumping" between the stationary states.

Voila! Atoms as our stable context and us as the pesky electrons.  Sure, I think I will get quite a few emails for my naïve comparison of concepts and philosophies, but I think that the idea of states, stations, energy harvesting though the back-and-forth between the states is intriguing. Of course, during the pursuit of consciousness the states and stations are not stationary, but Bohr was never a philosopher, really…

Back to Sufism and Hindu philosophy. The key pursuit on the path of self-realisation is the reaching of consciousness. Needless to say, this concept is influenced by ethno-philosophy, spirituality, religion, and of course philosophy.

What is consciousness? The simplest definition may be the reaching of a higher self or transcendental reality by going beyond animal instincts. That is what I was taught when reading Emanuel Kant to understand how we synthesize between ideas and philosophies. The “thesis-antithesis-synthesis” triad was very useful to me during my years as a scientist and a culturally flexible student of human expectations.

One cannot address the definition of a higher self or transcendental reality without touching upon religious teachings. Interestingly, while the linguistic equivalent of the word consciousness is the Greek word Suneidesis, there is no mention of it in the Old Testament. Rather scholars believe that the Hebrew term for “heart” is how self-awareness, or consciousness, is defined. Even the Dead Sea Scrolls lack a term for consciousness. In contrast, the term consciousness is used 32 times in the New Testament.

In all situations, suneidesis and consciousness represent a person’s inner compass for moral behavior. They define us as binary – floating between good and evil and requiring to make a choice.

…The rainy season, called monsoon, started today in Arizona. A lot of rain fell upon the dry desert and in a few days the magic will happen again – all will be green, and parts of the desert will look like a gof course for a couple of weeks.

Is that a new station or state for the desert? When the water will disappear, the desert will go back to its previous state of dryness but also of resilience. It will save all its energy to stay intact and vibrant till the next cycle of bloom and rejuvenation.

I hope to be in the right space and time when that happens.

July 13, 2019
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment