Thursday, May 22, 2014

Maria, Amália & Mariza





“You may not be different” I once was told, “but you can act differently.”

And I did. When facing my computer screen for endless hours on a rainy day, I reminded myself that what I write has to be different if it has to reflect my excitement about the ordinary. When working in my darkroom developing meters and meters of film, I smiled thinking that all around me were using digital cameras. And, when assuming my role of an academic around the world, I never gave the same lecture twice, for I wanted to surprise myself.

… It is raining, it is spring, and the swallows’ eggs have already hatched. From dawn to dusk, I listen to the incessant request of those open mouths for worms.  For a week or two, the dozens of swallow nests around my balcony will be my philharmonic orchestra, my comfort with the daily low and high tides of the Atlantic Ocean, also under my balcony.

Last night, when the swallow chicks were sleeping, I listened to Fado while reading about the history of this genre of lament.  Like any style of expression, Fado started as an unstructured method of sad and lamenting singing. It did reflect the poverty and misery of the Portuguese populous. That’s why it was not adopted by the aristocratic circles until Maria Severa, a fadista and of that warm Portuguese blood full the veins, had a romance with the Count of Vimioso in the first half of the 19th century.  Fado thus became chic and jerked tears from aristocratic lacrimal glands as abundantly as from those of the working people.  A romance, a song, and Fado defined a people.

Maria Severa died at the age of 26, and since then, female fadistas wear a black shawl in memory of her and in response to the pains of life. A fadista, in a dimly lit Fado tavern, will move only her hands and with her voice and facial expressions, tell you how lucky you are to not be broken by love.

Or how unlucky you are.

… I have had the fortune of seeing and hearing Amália Rodrigues, the “Queen of Fado” (Rainha do Fado), decades ago when on tour in Beirut. Since then I have left dreams and ample tears in taverns all over Portugal. Here are a few lines from a poem I wrote in 2006:

Shadows could not
Cover the burning pain
A guitarra, a viola and an impossible desire
Hugged in silence, as if a dance
At the Carnival
Where six double strings
Gave fate a name
Gave the sea its darkness
A night away from Mouraria

The wine, color of passion
Color of dark pain
The candle, color of remembrance
Flickered as the last embrace

Partir e Morrer Um Pouco
But to stay is to play with fate
With the color of that wine
Color of passion
Color of a promise
Color of rain
Upon the Castello
Atop the city

Which ended:

…In the streets of Old Lisbon
A poet found his lost song
But it was sung by another
Who thought it was
A new song….


Indeed, Fado (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈfaðu], "destiny, fate”, has its epistemological origin in the Latin word fatum, but the poetry represents longing more than fate. It is the longing for what we have lost, for what we never had.

But for me, it is the longing for what we have lost but perhaps never had!
For me, Fado is the reminder that we are born with things already lost to us, rather than losing these because of life.

… Last night, when the swallows’ chicks were sleeping, I listened to Mariza, the diva of the new generation of Fado, sing the famous lines of Amália Rodrigues
Com que voz chorarei meu triste fado (with what voice should I lament my sad fate/sing my sad fado?”

May 22, 2014
© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2014

About the picture: I took this one in New Orleans. It was a perfect contrast between the dark and the bright, the “being different” and not so much so. As I was writing this page, I thought of this picture but this time in a different way: instead of the fadista in the black shawl and in the semi-dark tavern, this man, wearing a tutu and not taking himself too seriously, reminded me that we may not be different but we sure can act differently.
For those of you who have not seen a fadista (at least through a 50 year old rangefinder camera lens!) check my page:
http://liveingray.blogspot.com/2013/04/lets-go-to-portugal.html



No comments:

Post a Comment